Saturday, November 05, 2005

SIDDS - Sudden Instant Disk Death Syndrome

So, I've spent the evening, not working on homework or finding other amusing things to do, but dealing with a massive hard drive failure on my server. The server which houses my mailserver, the psp brothers-only website for my chapter, not to mention years of work by me and miscellaneous other things.

I'm kinda unhappy right now. It wouldn't be so bad, except that I don't have a recent backup. (Shut up.)

I guess it's not as bad as it could be, though. The mediawiki that acts as the psp brothers-only website was on a seperate drive, so it should be fine. Also, a number of other files were there, so that's not so bad.

Nevertheless, I bought a new harddrive and now have to completely (or mostly) reinstall Gentoo on it, which will take a long time. I'm going to focus on getting the brothers-only site up first, though, so that's Apache, MySQL, PHP. Maybe when I build the mailserver this time, I'll do it right. ;-)

No comments:

The City Born Great - How Long 'Til Black Future Month?

The second story in N. K. Jemisin's anthology How Long 'Til Black Future Month? , "The City Born Great," is an exciting ta...