Monday, April 09, 2007

Grainger's Molly on the Shore

I learned something new today: Grainger's Molly on the Shore, from his "British Folk-Music Settings", is based on two Irish Cork Reels: "Temple Hill" and "Molly on the Shore". I found this in my copy of "Country Gardens and other works for piano by Percy Grainger", but the book goes one further: it says that the tunes are numbers 901 and 902 in Petrie's Complete Irish Music, which I happen to own as well. And, sure enough, the two reels listed are two of the sections of the piece, although there is some other material in there that I presume was Grainger's.

Thanks to scribd, you can look at them below!

No comments:

The City Born Great - How Long 'Til Black Future Month?

The second story in N. K. Jemisin's anthology How Long 'Til Black Future Month? , "The City Born Great," is an exciting ta...