Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Audiveris Redux

Ok, I noted, last time I tried to use Audiveris, that I couldn't get it to work properly. Well... I was only partially right.

Although I had installed the correct version of Java, I forgot to tell Gentoo to use it.

For future reference, Gentoo users: you have to update your java selection with java-config.

So, I downloaded the latest version (3.1) tonight, and gave it a whirl on a scan I had (page two of the viola part for Grainger's Molly on the Shore). It actually runs, and it actually was able to recognize some of the score. But, there were a lot of errors, and some were difficult - or impossible - to fix, such as when two symbols were interpreted to be a single symbol. And for some reason, it prefers clefs over notes with flags, though I'm not sure why.

Anyway, there are certainly some very good things that it does, but it's got quite a ways to go yet.
Post a Comment