Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Defacing (defacation?)

Yes, I know that defecation is the word you were expecting.

Over the weekend, the university maintainance crew filled a hole in the sidewalk near some steps below the engineering center. I know this because I walked by it this morning on the way to class and saw the wet cement. There were also some saw horses there, presumably to ensure that folks didn't step in it.

Coming back from class, I was walking down these stairs just as this guy, who was standing right above the patch, threw a stick over to the ground and walked away. In this newly-poured patch of concrete, he (I can only assume) had written "Morrison". I didn't say anything (I should have, I think), and I didn't make any attempt to correct it (probably something else I should have done). But as I was walking I started thinking: the concrete had lasted all day (from before ten in the morning until after three in the afternoon), only to be spoiled by one idiot. But I was also facing a dilemma. I find such acts childish, without purpose and disrespectful, not only to my own sensibilities but to the community in general. However, I cannot morally prevent anyone from doing such a thing, as it would be against my beliefs. I could have attempted to lecture him about it, or erased it, but I cannot, for example, tell the police and have him fined (even if I could identify him again).

But it saddens me to see people care so little about the community they live in that they would deface it so easily. He doubtless thinks that what he did was "awesome" and his only remose would be at being caught. Perhaps, on the other hand, his act was an experiment, to see whether anyone would attempt to stop him or fix the cement (in which case I failed), or some sort of protest. I doubt these alternatives though.

Which leads me into a question: how does one create a community wherein this doesn't happen? Where people take more pride in their community and would never even consider such an action? I doubt that it would be possible to acheive 100% non-defacation, and would expect someone to occasionally do something like that again. And maybe that's what this is: the statistical error. The anamoly. I certainly hope that this is the case, but in my heart I know it is not.

On the plus side, it seems to be the minority here. By the time I walked by again at ~7pm, someone had erased the "Morrison", so that now only a lumpy smudge bears memory to it.

In other news, I'm tired and slightly depessed. I want so much to be Scott's equal, but I am not and doubt that I will be. I want a boyfriend. I also want to go away and live all alone on a little previously-uninhabited tropical island so I don't have to deal with people at all. I could live on bananas, though I think I'd get sick of fish pretty quickly.

The DLP Rush Bowling went well. We had three folks show up, so that's pretty good, since this is the first event we've held.

I naired myself last friday because I thought we were going swimming. But, then we didn't. So I'm smooth but no one can tell.

I've also been reading Anarchism by Daniel Guerin (there's an accent in there but I'm too lazy for it right now). It's a brief historical overview of anarchy, anarchism, and anarchists. It's not a biography of any of them, though it does spend some time talking about the social theories as they developed. If the text is accurate, then I've gained an insight into the Bolshevik revolutions that I hadn't ever had before.

My little quickidrive stopped being writable for some reason a week or two ago, and the other night I finally fixed it using a tool that essentially low-level formatted it. I'm not pleased that that happened, and am wondering why (I'm guessing it's because I bought a cheap stick). But it's working again, so that's good.

Anyway, that's probably more than I should write. I have physics I should do but I'm going to bed instead.

Be well, all.

No comments:

The City Born Great - How Long 'Til Black Future Month?

The second story in N. K. Jemisin's anthology How Long 'Til Black Future Month? , "The City Born Great," is an exciting ta...