Friday, October 19, 2007

IMSLP has closed

The International Music Score Library Project has closed.

The brief story is as follows: On October 13, Feldmahler received a cease-and-desist letter from Universal Edition demanding unreasonable action be taken, based on (in my non-lawyery opinion) suspect legal reasoning and the usual money-grubbiness that you expect from corporations. He was given until today, October 19, to respond, and, after consulting with legal counsel, decided that, even if we were in the right, it would be too expensive and time-consuming for him to fight. So, with much regret, he has closed IMSLP.

Universal Edition's actions are despicable. I wish I could express my disappointment and anger currently.

What will happen now is unknown. But I pledge this: I will continue my scanning projects in the spirit of IMSLP, and will make available those pieces that I have.

Because Feldmahler is right: culture and art are for everyone, not just those who can afford it.

Long Live IMSLP!

No comments:

The City Born Great - How Long 'Til Black Future Month?

The second story in N. K. Jemisin's anthology How Long 'Til Black Future Month? , "The City Born Great," is an exciting ta...